"Growth is inevitable, but can we sustain this pace for long?"
Throughout the documentary, Jeff meets many people that are living off the land and basically "one with nature". But society is trying to industrializing and build more factories, more sky scrapers, etc. Growth was wanted from society in order to make money off these new sites. But for these nature people, society's growth is actually detrimental for them. They like this simple life, they like to live off the land and connect with nature. Growth is usually positive, but in terms of Jeff's Journey and all that he learned, it is not good and should be slowed down. Yvonn and Doug want to conserve land, preserve nature, which is what they learned on their adventure. Jeff came to that conclusion after his journey.
Also, there was another quote saying that if you are at the edge of the cliff, is taking a step of the cliff forward or turning around and taking a step going forward? These two quotes, I feel go hand in hand. At one point of all this growth and advancement, there will be no where to go. So maybe the next step forward, the way to progress is to stop and take a step backwards.
Since I am only in High School, from here on out is forward progress. I have college ahead and then a working life ahead. So at this point in my life, growth is inevitable. Even when I do get a job, growth will still be happening since I would always want to get a better job and a better life. Maybe when I retire when growth will no longer sustain and will eventually end.
No comments:
Post a Comment